We are adding a new regular feature: a round-up of recent news stories that touch on the theme of the LCRM blog. We hope that this will be useful to our readers.
- UNC welcomes first woman Chancellor.
- Horace Carter, whose coverage of the KKK in the 1950s helped the Tabor City Tribune win a Pulitzer Prize, is the subject of a documentary being screened at this year’s Full Frame Festival in Durham.
- The North Carolina Senate is attempting to repeal the Racial Justice Act. Frank Stasio interviewed Republican Senator Thom Goolsby on WUNC’s “State of the Nation.”
- Rand Paul addressed students at Howard University, a historically black college in Washington, D.C.
- NC legislators have pulled a bill proposal that sought to make Christianity the state religion.
- Journalists Jonathan Capehart and Frank Bruni and Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt discussed LGBT issues at UNC-Chapel Hill.